I discovered that curiosity was a good skill to have. Being curious about the world, what makes it tick, the economic and societal factors impacting the business you work for consult to – that’s an important perspective to bring to the communications solution that you’re going to propose.
I realized that it was a big world outside the one that I knew when I was growing up and studying – so travel and experiencing other cultures and economies was a big help to my career. Particularly today, with the world that is globalized and where the momentum lies with countries like China and India, having a worldview is essential.
And I enjoyed being an early adopter of technology – each new technological advance made what we do easier and more powerful – and the earlier I learned the more it was a help. Today the technological advances of the Internet and social media are revolutionizing our world and every practitioner – whether one has been in the profession for a long time, or is just starting out – needs to seize the opportunity that revolution enables.
- 1964 – 1967: New Zealand Ministry of Foreign – Foreign Affairs Officer
- 1967 – 1970: New Zealand Radio and Television – Current Affairs Reporter and Producer
- 1970 – 1973: Media Consultants Ltd. – Managing Director
- 1973 – 1979: Industrialized Building Systems Ltd. – Executive Director, responsible for PR and marketing
- 1979 – 1983: Blue Skys Advertising Ltd – Executive Director and Head, PR Department
- 1983 – 1989: Fay, Richwhite & Co. Ltd Investment Bank – Executive Director, marketing
- Associated Position, 1985 – 1989: New Zealand America’s Cup Challenge, Director, Marketing & Promotions)
- 1989 – 1992: Public Relations and Marketing Consultant (Based in U.S.)
- 1992 – 1994: Consultus New Zealand – Managing Director
- 1994 – 1996: Managing Director, Edelman Melbourne; National Director, Corporate & Financial, Edelman Australia
- 1996 – 1998: Senior Vice President and Group Head, Corporate and Financial Groups, Edelman Chicago
- 1998 – 2007: Allstate Insurance Company – Vice President, Corporate Relations
- 2007 – Current: Gagen MacDonald – Consultant