culpwrit

guiding the career in public relations

culpwrit header image 1

Culpwrit Begins His Next Chapter

June 21st, 2011 · 23 Comments

Today, I decided to take my own advice.  In past posts, I’ve encouraged readers to pursue their passions and opportunities will follow.

After a long corporate career and eight great years in the agency world, I made the difficult decision to leave Ketchum.  Beginning this summer, I will hang up my own shingle in order to consult, teach, coach and write.

At several points during my career, I seriously considered branching out to do my own thing.  But other great opportunities continued to emerge before the ink had a chance to dry on my new business cards.  So, during my recent vacation, I was able to spend considerable time assessing what I truly want to do during the next phase of my career and life.  The experience of writing this blog and my just-completed teaching gig at DePaul University also factored into my decision to take the leap at this time.

I’ll miss most aspects of my job as head of Ketchum’s Corporate Practice in North America, but I look forward to continuing to work with many of my talented and creative colleagues since Ketchum has indicated it wants to be one of my first clients.  More details after I wrap up my Ketchum duties, but my goal is to consult with a select group of clients while continuing to teach and write this blog.  Thank you for contributing to this amazing journey through your readership, guests posts, questions and comments.    -Ron Culp

Tags: Careers

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 David Heiser // Jun 21, 2011 at 7:16 am

Good luck, Ron! Looking forward to keeping up with your new adventure!

• 2 Amanda // Jun 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Good luck with everything!

• 3 Karla Gower // Jun 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Glad to see you taking your own advice and following your passion! Good luck and enjoy, as I know you will.

• 4 Chris Lauer // Jun 21, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Who knew our graduate class would play a role in such an important decision? Your passion for teaching was evident to all of us. Very glad to hear.

• 5 Kevin S. // Jun 21, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I think all of your readers are excited to hear about your new venture and will be curious for updates as you can provide them. Great to hear you’re able to devote more time to teaching and mentoring.

• 6 Mariquita L. // Jun 22, 2011 at 7:21 am

Congrats on following your dream! I enjoy reading about your experiences and look forward to seeing what comes next.

• 7 Heather R. Huhman // Jun 22, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Congrats! Good luck with your journey into entrepreneurship. It’s quite a ride. 🙂

• 8 Karen Russell // Jun 22, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Oh, good, Ron — when I read the headline I was afraid you were going to say you were quitting the blog. This is much better news. Congratulations!

• 9 Culpwrit // Jun 23, 2011 at 8:28 am

Thanks for all the encouraging comments, emails and notes. Also thanks to Crain’s Shia Kapos for a wonderful blog post: http://t.co/F1lipdL

• 10 Margy Sweeney // Jun 23, 2011 at 11:29 am

Best of luck as you go out on your own– it’s a grand adventure, and I look forward to hearing about what you do next. You’ve been such a consistently welcoming presence at Chicago-area Council of PR Firms events, I hope that you’ll stay visible, so we can all continue to benefit from your wisdom and perspective for years to come.

• 11 Lisa Gibbons // Jun 23, 2011 at 11:42 am

Congrats, Ron. Well deserved! What a career!

• 12 Tracy Sims // Jun 23, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Congratulations, Ron, on pursuing your passion. I’m especially glad to hear that you will continue to teach.

• 13 Sarah Argue // Jun 23, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Best of Luck to you! I actually came across your blog after a friend referred me to it. I have it posted on my Google homepage so I’m constantly seeing the newly written posts – and I read just about everyone of them. I recently moved to Chicago after graduating and really wanted to focus some of my time on a blog. So I’m at the beginning stages of mine right now as I haven’t quite found a purpose for it, rather than to keep my family and friends updated with my life post-graduation. I’m hoping to one day find that niche, something I can write about consistently that makes my readers keep coming back for more – similar to yours.

Anyways I really enjoy reading your posts as well as your guest posts. They’re great, and I feel like they pertain to my life quite well, especially the stage I’m at. Thanks so much and good luck in all you do!

• 14 Annette Majerowicz // Jun 23, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Congratulations, Ron! Good luck with this new chapter of your career.

• 15 Richard Bailey // Jun 23, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Good move, though as you suggest it’s easier to advise others than to take your own advice. Best wishes from someone who has trodden a similar path.

• 16 Jen (Rice) Dial // Jun 24, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Congrats Ron! I’m very happy for you. You’ve always been a great mentor and I know you’ll cherish every moment. I look forward to learning more about your new chapter in life. Take care!

• 17 Culpwrit // Jun 24, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Thanks good friends for the well wishes as I embark on this exciting next phase of my career. I definitely plan to work for many more years, but this new twist will allow me to have even more fun doing so. All the best to you.

• 18 Elizabeth G // Jun 24, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Ron,

I’m so excited to read this news, and know you will continue to find great success in whatever it is you have planned. You are an incredibly inspiring teacher, mentor and role model, and I will continue to cross my fingers that I might see you again in my remaining courses at DePaul. Either way, I look forward to reading more about your new adventures! Congrats!

• 19 Kyle // Jun 27, 2011 at 6:50 am

Congratulations to you and your mission to pursue your passion! 🙂

• 20 Robin Orvino // Jun 27, 2011 at 7:18 am

Ron: Congrats on beginning the next chapter of your life. I was fortunate to have spent time at Ketchum while you were in charge. My two weeks as one of your Plank Fellows was inspirational, encouraging and so valuable for me and for my students. Thank you for everything you and your staff did to make me welcome and for sharing so much valuable knowledge, Robin.

• 21 Tyler Marciniak // Jun 30, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Congratulations, Ron. A whole new group of people will be lucky to have your experience, wisdom and counsel to learn from.

Best,
    Tyler

• 22 Gabby Bladdick // Jul 1, 2011 at 8:19 am

Congratulations, Ron! How exciting! Best of luck on this new journey.

Best,
    Gabby

• 23 IRA & DONNA WEINDRUCH // Aug 19, 2011 at 4:36 pm

RON, WE WISH YOU THE VERY BEST ON YOUR NEW VENTURE. IT WILL BE OUR
    PLEASURE TO CALL YOU PROFESSOR CULP.
    REGARDS;